This is a hearty soup year round. It’s full of vegetables and just enough meat to make it into a meal. The recipe is quite forgiving; adding or taking away certain vegetables will not ruin the soup. The pesto is a key ingredient, do not forget to add it. I used the Trader Joe’s brand, Trader Giotto’s Pesto alla Genovese, basil pesto. Any pesto left, freeze it (in Tablespoon amount) to be used later.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
- 12-16 oz sausage (mild or spicy)
- 3 Tablespoons good olive oil + 2 teaspoons
- 2 Tablespoons pesto
- 2 cups onions, sliced
- 2 cups fennel bulb, sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 cup carrots sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup yellow/green zucchini, sliced
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans drained and rinsed (or cannelloni or black beans)
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes in juice
- 4- 8 cups (7-14 oz) kale, coarsely chopped green leaves without the center stalk
- 6 – 8 cups chicken broth
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish with parmesan cheese .
Step 6: Saute zucchini in 2 teaspoons olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. *Note: I like to add cooked zucchini pieces when serving to keep them firm.
Garnish with parmesan cheese
~ enjoy ~
posted by: Bill & Kay 1